the majority would call the year a rather eventful year; albeit it referring generally to the world and not to individual lives.
i can imagine that a lot of people had a rather flat slope (is that an oxymoron?) when it comes to the dramaticness of their lives in year 2020. im not trying to insult these people — as i have learnt, having a rather uneventful life is sometimes a better way to live — since the only good thing about people like me who are always chasing the adrenaline is, really, just to have anecdotes to tell at a (virtual) social gathering. other than that, sure, there may be some prestiges; yet normally it is cancelled out with negative events. i don’t speak for everyone but at least that is my experience.
i wouldn’t hesitate to do everything again though. though i might do some things better.
this is by no means a review of the year since some of the epiphanies aren’t that “wild”. posting this slightly earlier as im moving in two days. there shall be nothing to add to this list in that window.
- tasked to head a research at work that could be written into a master’s thesis…and i wasn’t even very near to writing my bachelor’s thesis
- sharply refined my definition of “friendship”
- being active in the Teenage Bounty Hunters fandom #Stepril
- didn’t step foot in my homeland at all
- saved more than 5 times on electricity bills just by showering less (i owed my electricity provider almost 1500€ in a 9 and a half months timeframe)
- decided to ditch social engagements in the form of student associations
- kinda achieved the little financial freedom to even be able to donate to charities
- i think i kinda can cook now‽
- actually made a Christmas cover and video with talented friends and my mediocre skills in everything under a week
- played my top song of the year 556 times this year, it’s Deleter by Grouplove
- got into a pretty much long-distance relationship
- went mostly vegetarian; attempting a more vegan diet now
- i played badminton without hurting myself
i was speaking with a friend last night, on Discord, which is one of the most interesting discoveries i had this year, they asked me how do i perceive 2020. then i realised that it was an okayish good year for me. sure there were still some dramas but the goodnesses outweighs it all.
so im happy to report that:
2020, sorry, you didn’t get me.